Saturday, January 29, 2011

Just Relax.

I knew a boy in college that mastered the art of the lackadaisical lifestyle. Regardless of the smattering of irresponsible conquests that was said boy's life, I always envied his ability to chill out, even under pressure. And oh, he spent countless moments coaching me on this, trying to convince me that what I'm not doing right now I can worry about tomorrow. Well those words don't really mean anything to someone as frantically sprung as me, being wired all the time is just part of my genetic makeup. I never thought I would take reckless boy's advice a few years later in East Africa.

While living in the rain forest is exceptionally beautiful, it definitely makes travel a challenge. In order to get to my house in the middle of southeast bush, Rwanda, from Kigali you must take a 3 hour bus to a nearby city, a 2 hour taxi to an even smaller "city" and a 1 hour ride on a motorcycle several thousand feet up the side of a mountain. Now go ahead and picture a motorcycle driving up a mountain. It's not cheap either. Needless to say my nerves get the best of me every time I strap myself to the back of that death-mobile as I like to call it, and you're not strapped in by any means. It's just you and the driver going like a bat out of Huye. Anything could happen. But then again, anything could happen walking down street, or getting caught in a rain storm, or cooking a meal. Accidents happen, but on the moto they're rare. It's similar to people that are terrified to fly when they have a much higher chance of being in a car wreck. It's just not logical. I just needed to relax.

And seriously, that does the trick. Taking a breath and enjoying the view along the way is a much better alternative to giving my poor fingers blisters from gripping the seat as tightly as I possibly can. Trusting the balance perpetuated by the speed of the moto instead of adhering my thighs so strongly against the sides I have a bruise from my hip to my kneecap. Relaxing is better than having a panic attack. I would know, I'm like the queen of panic attacks. Besides, I have something to help me rid my fear once and for all. It's not everyday that a girl is so lucky. I had been waiting, and hoping, that he would come along. And then after just a few moto rides to and from a nearby city I felt compelled to say those magical words that everyone is desperately waiting to hear, "Will you be my permanent moto driver?". Yes. I have a personal driver named Innocent, of all names. He's considerate and kind and drives safely and slowly. I can depend on him to wake up at 5 am to come pick me up on time and he's always waiting by the phone. The deal sealer in Innocent's case was his advice to me the first time we every shared a ride together, "You need to relax." Oh really? Must be in good company. And just to clarify relaxing does not insinuate not being cautious. However it does mean allowing yourself to experience life the way it was intended to be experienced, not gripping anything to death but gripping life itself. Relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment