Wednesday, January 19, 2011

It's All in a Name

In this country, your name can either make you or break you. Usually 8 days after a child is born, the parents invite close family and friends to a naming ceremony, called a 'Kwita Izina'. This is one of the oldest traditions of Rwandan culture, and there is still much sanctity in it. Fortunately for me, the Head of Studies at my school (similar to a vice principal) just had a baby with his wife, and I was able to learn all about this fascinating occurrence. I wasn't necessarily invited, for which I'm glad, because all of those present at the ceremony assume some level of responsibility over the child, should something happen to the parents. In a way, you are choosing the people you would like to rear your child in your absence, when you invite them to Kwita Izina. It's no ordinary party. And as far as I understand, invitations are never declined. Others might take their responsibility lightly, but to a Rwandan - a verbal understanding, even a head nod, is like a binding wax seal. Something so unique about this culture is the level of trust and understanding between everyone. It's a stretch coming from a society where every mother is telling their child not to talk to strangers. Above all else you are expected not necessarily to honor your family or get a good job, but simply to be dependable to others. Loyalty is highly revered.

The thought process behind Kwita Izina is intense, but sometimes the name can be as sudden as a whim. Babies are named after days of the week, months of the year, or the mother's mood at that very moment; relief, joy, gratitude, etc. And the madness doesn't stop there. For the rest of their lives, that person must either defend their character against their name or live up to the standard presented by it. Many people have superstitious feelings about names here, and no matter what you do if your mother named you Trouble you will be judged for the rest of your life. Such a cut and dry procedure like this made me thankful for my own Rwandan name, Muhoracye [moo-hor-a-chay]. It literally means, 'one with charm'. That doesn't exactly spell Queen of Rwanda, but I think it is an honest interpretation of how my neighbors and colleagues see me. And the benefit of being named as an adult rather than a baby? My name is a reflection of me, not the other way around. There certainly are some people that resent their names, and I read in the newspaper sometimes about laws being passed in the capital to allow legal name change. Understandably so, considering the names of some of my students. Let's just say that Mother Mary and Julius Cesar (not making this up) are great friends, who knew? So why do parents invest so much time in preparing for the naming ceremony itself but just a fraction on the decision of the name? I have yet to understand, but I'm guessing it is some form of initiation right into life; accepting or living up to your name. Considering my name's positive acquisition, I'd say I'm officially part of the club.

1 comment:

  1. Kimmy!

    Your blog is awesome, but it needs more pictures! You may not have a digital camera, but we can Google the town that your living in so that we can imagine what your daily life is like.

    but...what town are you in?

    Do you have internet access nearby?

    ReplyDelete